Thursday, November 19, 2015

Giving Thanks!

I'm thankful for you, my students!

I'm feeling thankful for my students! I brought a little cookie cake to group class this afternoon to express my gratitude for having them study with me.

Our bow-rehairing clinic didn't go as planned this morning; Mr. Kelly couldn't bring his equipment to the school due to the heavy rain, so he picked up the bows and will return them tomorrow morning. This left me scratching my head to come up with a group lesson that would engage everyone while many of us were left bow-less.

Instead of playing violins, I played the recording of our Christmas program selections to provide additional ear training while we all worked on note-reading activities. The two Pre-Twinklers played a game of "music memory match" (graciously facilitated by my mother-in-law) completed a "color-by-rhythm" worksheet quickly, so they got their cookie slices first!

Two sweeties enjoying cookie cake after playing Music Memory Match. 
Older students completed several pitch and rhythm identification worksheets. MakingMusicFun.net was a life-saver today!

Identifying pitches on the staff. 

Stand partners working together.

In addition to the worksheets above, I also created an artistic assignment for my more advanced students who will be performing "Silver Bells" in our concert. I wanted them to consider the ways in which that they are story-tellers, and to try to "paint a picture" in the minds of their listeners. I created an assignment asking them to draw what they imagine when they consider the lyrics to this beautiful Christmas song. 

I will be teaching on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week to make up for two days I was out in August while my mom was hospitalized. No lessons or group on Thursday, of course, due to Thanksgiving. And when we return from the holiday, it's time for the Christmas Crunch!